bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to detach yourself from a character you're going to kill? So, in a WW2-ish story featuring a co-ed military, I have a female soldier who is very kind and caring. I'm setting her up to - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I don't recommend it, but you can take a Hollywood/American morality play approach. Put something in her current or past behavior that is ever-so-slightly corrupted, or slightly off center, or even the tiniest bit not pure-as-the-gently-driven-snow-virginal. When she dies, rather than address the actual situation or the injustice or the randomness-of-fate inherent in human life, readers will think that she had it coming because she deserved it for the small bit of humanity you exposed.

You will hate yourself. All the women in your life will reject you as a sexist moralizer. Your daughters will feel constrained from exploring their own lives and personalities. Your sons may feel entitled to suppress and ignore women in whom they can imagine any "flaw".

But, you can similarly rationalize your characters demise.

Or, you can let your character be real to you. Let her live and be the perfect example of herself that you know well and allow the world to see. If you must kill her, let it be consistent with her life, and allow your readers to share in the pain of losing her. Let her death do something to drive the story, so that she shall not have died in vain.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Dunderdale623

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best