bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When writing an error prompt, should we end the sentence with a exclamation mark or a dot? When writing an error prompt, should we end the sentence with a exclamation mark or a dot? I am - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Don't make your program make a mountain out of a molehill

If I see a program show an error message with an exclamation mark at the end, I am either going to assume that something is seriously wrong, or start doubting the honesty of the message. Ordinary "user did something the program doesn't handle" errors, like the one you are asking about, do not qualify in this category, nor do error messages generated from transient or temporary external conditions. Even an error message that's indicative of the programmer having made a boneheaded mistake probably doesn't qualify for an exclamation point; the program-killing results of a bonehead exception are emphasis enough.

So, when is using the exclamation point the correct route to take? If your application is returning an error that needs imminent user action to avoid serious consequences (such as data loss, or worse), then my first course of action would be to design the issue out. However, if that's not possible, then such a heavily emphasized error may be appropriate, in conjunction with the strongest iconography that the system provides. Another case where I would end an error message with an exclamation point is in programmer-facing errors where your code has been placed into a truly impossible situation by something that's beyond a normal mistake, but reflects a failure of a fundamental assumption about the world your program is living in.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @XinRu607

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best