bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I write "Show, Don't Tell" as a person with Asperger Syndrome? I have been told by my friends that my writing seems a bit blunt in the sense of I rarely practice "Show, Don't Tell" - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There are certain guidelines, and principles in writing, but not any real rules per se. There are things which may earn you low marks in school such as poor grammar, etc. But in the real world things are not that simple. Yes, in certain circumstances, it is better to describe in detail instead of just telling it as it is. But, an entire book written in that manner would be tedious and boring.

In writing, every little detail is not always required. Do we really need to know details about every single tree in town, or perhaps there is a specific one with some kind of significance? It is important to keep the scope of the story within certain boundaries, or there will effectively be no plot. Certain facts must be stated to frame around the story, but no further description is really necessary. For example, mentioning that the story takes place after a major historical event such as war, or a natural disaster would set the time and place.

As far as describing interactions with people, this is challenging for most writers. The most important thing is dialogue. Try not to focus too much on body language right away. Once the dialogue is there, it will become easier to fill in the blanks. Think about each verbal exchange, and how the actors would react to it. If you tell them good news, would they be sad or happy, etc. It can be helpful to have a friend proofread your work, and let them tell you about how they would feel, and react to it.

Also, the way people interact with each other in real life is not the same as it is on TV, or on the Internet. Try not to have characters speak too much at one time, and have single sided conversations. The actors should respond in a humanistic sort of way. Real people are not always predictable. They have may differences in mood, they respond differently to people they know and trust, than to others. Remember that every person is an individual, and they have unique personalities.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bethany377

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best