bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to represent jealousy in a cute way? The main character (which is a girl) of the first romance I'm writing would feel jealous sometimes of her love interest, but I want it to be a cute - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Let's back into what "cute" jealousy would look like. Inspecting the other answers, a common theme is that jealousy is a step towards potential abuse, or it is simply poison to a love-relationship. Jealousy carries undertones of distrust, perhaps even malice. Or, to offer a slight oversimplification, jealousy isn't cute because it's threatening.

The problem, therefore, with portraying jealousy which is cute would be to make it not threatening. Unthreatening jealousy is actually not strange or unusual, but it's main manifestation is not in romantic relations:

"But Daddy, why didn't you take ME out to get ice cream?"

"Timmy, you know it's Cindy's birthday. On your last birthday, we
went and got you a banana split. Remember?"

Relatively "innocent" jealousy is not an unnatural state. A child (or childlike character) who is not inclined toward malice may still be disappointed to be left out, may still feel soft envy, without being overwhelmed by hostility or distrust.

The problem with putting that kind of character into a (plausible, mature) romance is that either your "cutely" jealous character is on unequal footing with the mature other character - or both of your characters are not really emotionally steady enough to be actually devoted to each other in a healthy way. I suppose this would give them room to grow.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Angela458

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best