logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: When two first person POV characters meet NOTE: I've seen this question asked when the POV is third but not first. I write psychological thrillers that move quickly and focus heavily on what

Rivera824 @Rivera824

I'm not certain how I would handle it and I've never read a multi-first person novel, so I am not sure how such a novel would normally read.

I'm currently re-reading a 1st/3rd alternating viewpoint book. It always is a little jarring to switch characters, because of the 1st/3rd switch. But it works, and as an aside, the first person chapters/character are more immersive than the 3rd person chapters. Possibly, this author faced the problem you face and opted to make a character 3rd. I don't know.

In the chapters that are in third person (again, one of the two protagonists with a complete arc), there is no 'jarring' sense of seeing the other character (in whose own chapters he is 1st person) now appearing in 3rd.

So, I think that aspect of it (suddenly having a viewpoint character appear 'not in viewpoint' which is what I believe you are concerned about) can work, but as I said, it is possible this author started with two first person protagonists and switched. I don't know.

Answer: Here's my instinct: I'd keep 1st/1st, but recommend looking at the voice of each character and making it as extreme and distinct from the other character's as possible. Also, pay attention to each 'viewpoint switch' (chapter beginnings, presumably)--to anchor the reader. What you want is for the reader to be firmly in the right head, that's all, and the rest will flow.

Keep two first person viewpoints but clearly make the voice of each distinct.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme