bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When two first person POV characters meet NOTE: I've seen this question asked when the POV is third but not first. I write psychological thrillers that move quickly and focus heavily on what - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Although, I'm not convinced that I would enjoy reading fiction with multiple first-person perspectives like this, I think you might be able to take inspiration from successful non-fiction narratives where the facts of the story require two viewpoints of the same scene.

What works best is usually to pick one person (let's call him "Adrian") as the "dominant" view, with offset (e.g. indented) sections from the perspective of the other person ("Briony"). Sometimes these are introduced with a phrase like "As Briony later told me:"; other authors will start Briony's words with a mention of Adrian's name, to show it's no longer his words.

It's a few decades since I last read it, but I'd recommend Touching the Void by Joe Simpson for this kind of treatment. For shorter stories, you could probably find a few in the archives of any good mountaineering or caving magazine.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Correia211

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best