logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: If I wouldn't want to read the story, is writing it still a good idea? I struggle with forming full-fledged ideas. I'll come up with a snippet of an idea, have a hard time fleshing the idea

XinRu607 @XinRu607

If you will enjoy writing it that's all that matters. The advice I've had from every professional novelist I've had the privilege to speak to personally is clear on this: write what you want to write how you want to write it. Usually with an addendum or two about the opinions of critics, editors and/or publishers tacked on.

If you enjoy working on a piece it's never time wasted, I wrote a piece of fluff, a hundred words or so, of the fey talking to a mad scientist, it was just trying out dialogue formats, 10 years ago and I filed the content away as pointless rubbish, except that a couple of years later I wrote a piece that meshed with it, and then another a year or so after that and a few more until now I have a sheaf of work half an inch thick that fits into this loose setting/universe idea, a coherent timeline of the major defining events, and the start of a couple of nice short stories out of it. Writing is only ever wasted if you throw it out, don't throw written work out, ever.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme