bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Why do authors use variations on a character's name within a single story? I am having trouble understanding why authors use multiple version of a character's name in the same story. I feel - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There are good reasons authors call the same character multiple names. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.

The reasons are:

realism - many, perhaps most people in real life are known by multiple different names to different people.
character development - the use of different names can illuminate the relationship between two characters (i.e. is that relationship intimate or formal, respectful or abusive?).

With that said, as you mentioned, it can be confusing. And realism is never an adequate excuse for bad writing decisions. My advice would be to limit use of this technique, and either make sure that (a) it is clear who is being referred to, or (b) confusion is part of the point.

Thus, if your reader already knows your character is named Samuel Johnson, it will be relatively clear if the character is called "Sam," "Sammy," "Son," "Dad," and "Mr. Johnson" by his friend, mother, father, daughter and employee respectively. (As @Amadeus pointed out, it should generally be one name per relationship, and the narrator counts as a relationship.) Or, if your POV character is supposed to be confused when Samuel's college frat brother calls him "Squoink," that can be okay too. But don't assume that just because you, the author, know that "Dr. Stevens" and "Becky" are the same person that the reader will easily or happily make that same jump. And do keep in mind that even a reader who isn't confused may not want the work of learning and keeping track of all the different names.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best