bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can a successful book series let the bad guy win? I have a five book series and I have plotted them all out. The main bad guy wins in the end. My problem with this is my girlfriend keeps - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

My two cents:

Some of the examples others have cited, like 1984, or other similar novels like Animal Farm or Brave New World have endings where the main characters lose, but I think that's because these books aren't about the characters, they are about painting a picture of some ugly aspect of society. There's a sort of catharsis that comes from identifying with stories like this.

I guess I would ask, why do you want the 'bad guy' to win? Is it for logistical reasons, like it makes sense because of some plot mechanic you want to use? Or is it because you really like his character? Is he an anti-hero, an "evil protagonist", or a legitimately evil, everyone-hates-him, deserves-to-lose villain? Or do you want to make a statement about how the good guys don't always get to win or about how no one is purely evil?

I guess I would say that whatever reason you have, make sure that the reader is able to pick that up and relate to it. If you like his character, make sure the reader will like him, if you want to make a statement about life, make sure that it is deep and fleshed out enough to make sense and not just come out of the blue.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best