bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Storyboarding Approaches for the Non-Artistic TLDR: Tips and Tricks for storyboarding a novel? For someone who can't draw well enough to do the "Draw and describe method" Hello, having read - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Yes, there's an app for that. Several, in fact. Use your favorite search engine with terms like "screenplay storyboard software" or "screenplay storyboard app". A search will also bring up online tools and comparison list-articles.

To appeal to non-artists such as yourself many of the programs offer royalty-free stock content, and sometimes simplistic character makers similar to a videogame's avatar generator – pick hair and simple clothing, or choose from a selection of poses. There is also 3D "Poser" software like Daz Studio which is free to download but buying content to flesh out your story (human models, clothing, props and sets) can become a money pit.

The reason I am not direct linking to anything is because I think this may actually be a poor creative approach for storywriting, that doesn't get you any closer to writing your story. Stock content will never satisfy all needs and genres, and learning 3D software is going to pull you in a different direction (a different creative "job").

If you are interested in learning to create art, or illustrate a comic, great – it will take a few years to get to a level where the artwork is capable of "communicating ideas" to others. In the meantime there is a learning curve, and dissatisfaction with results as a newbie, and many many hours experimenting with rendering and figure systems. It's definitely not a shortcut to simply writing ideas on paper.

I'd advise you to decide where you want to devote more of your time, learning to write with text, or learning to expressing yourself through a visual medium. Both are skills that can be developed in time, but both do take time to become good. All things being equal – if you are very good at writing and equally good at drawing – it takes MUCH more time to draw a story than to tell it with words.

If you can be satisfied with badly drawn stick-figures, grab some index cards and use any combination of drawing and words to organize your ideas. Whatever works for you is fine. I would at least attempt a D.I.Y. approach before paying for software, just to see if it's something that will work for you.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jessie137

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best