bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can we have too many dialogue tags and follow up actions? Can we have too many dialogue tags and follow up actions? I am trying to think of a situation where it might make sense to describe - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Your Tags are fine, your Actions might not be
I like to go light on dialog tags, only using them when it's unclear who is speaking. But that's my preference.
For the actions, if they tell us something about the characters - they are a stickler for seat belts because they are "rules people" or they slam the door because they are angry - then they are vital and you should include them. If not, then they are just in the way.

"Was that your dream job? Being a cop?" Rufus opened the passenger door and motioned impatiently towards the interior.
"Yes, I wanted to be a cop," Robert snapped, sliding into the vehicle.
Rufus grimaced at the younger man. "That's interesting. Because you dress like a thug." He slammed the door before the startled Robert could reply.
Crossing to the driver's side, Rufus throw himself into the seat. He glanced at his new "partner." Robert sat, arms crossed, frowning into the dash. "Buckle up, kid." He turned the key, and the engine roared to life. "Today's your lucky day."

Here, I was trying to get across that Rufus is a grumpy veteran cop - he's skeptical, he's impatient, he slams the door, he forces Robert to put on a seat belt, he doesn't like that he's stuck with the non-cop.
I thought Robert might be a little childish, not understanding that "thugish" dress will go over poorly with the police. So I ran with it - he snapped his line, he sulks when he sits down, he fails to put on the seat belt.
I left out most of the mechanics of Rufus getting into the car because it didn't add anything useful.
I'd suggest you cut away the unnecessary action. Only include things that tell us about the characters, or directly move the plot. Everything else is implied or ignored.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best