bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Coulrophobia: the fear of clowns Can a child who has been sexually harassed by clowns be said to have 'coulrophobia: the fear of clowns' because of the fear and trauma she is undergoing? I - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Can a child who has been sexually harassed by clowns be said to have 'coulrophobia: the fear of clowns' because of the fear and trauma she is undergoing?

I mean to ask if the word 'coulrophobia' can be used when she's scared because of the fact that she was harassed.

I'm writing a story on this girl, who was raped but was diagnosed to be coulrophobiac by the doctor. He didn't know, neither did he check whether she was raped.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Michele605

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I would say no. The phobias are more in the realm of irrational fears, not rational ones. So she might develop coulrophobia, but she doesn't have it just because she got raped by somebody dressed as a clown.

She is more likely to fear that specific clown makeup; not the whole category of clowns in general. I can't imagine a doctor incompetent enough to diagnose "coulrophobia" because of a single incident. That isn't even a medical doctor's call; it is a clinical psychologist's call, and they don't diagnose phobias lightly.

Load Full (0)