bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to avoid unconsciously copying the style of my favorite writer? I've been reading and writing for a long time. Last year, I was introduced to Haruki Murakami. I don't know if it's case - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Go ahead and copy his style.

Murakami is a brilliant writer who draws heavily on other writers (as does every writer, whether they realize it or not). Honestly, if you can manage to write so well that people compare you to him, you will have accomplished something amazing.

It's hard enough to write in a style similar to someone with a more mainstream approach. Writing like someone unusual is quite difficult. So difficult that you will almost certainly put your own spin on it, which is of course what you want.

Of course you don't want to copy his ideas, plots, characters, or turns of phrase. But style is more of a school of thought (like Impressionism) and not something unique to an individual, even if it's in fact unique (though no one's style is completely new and different).

I mean if you could paint like Monet, you'd do it, right? So go ahead and write like Murakami. With your own particular penstrokes.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best