logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Sci-fi change: Too much or Not enough I am in the process of editing a short story. It is science fiction of the "if this goes on" kind: I take a social trend I see, and paint its event

Rivera824 @Rivera824

Answer #1 is a comment/question:

Can you ask them the sorts of books/stories they'd each recommend to help you calibrate your extremity? that might be the sort of info that can point you in the direction you should go, because it may tell you which reader is naturally in tune with your intent.

Answer #2 :

I think your experience is common. Science Fiction can be light, or heavy-handed (as no doubt you know), and I've for sure had readers that want more than I put in my writing. Some readers want bizarre, plain and simple. It's less a matter of right and wrong, and more a matter of preference IMO. Example: I cannot read Dawn by Octavia Butler. It is too much. Too weird. Very creepy-crawly SF and messes with my head. But something by Michael Crichton, which is fairly plausible in theory anyway, and I'm in!

Perhaps something up front can telegraph to the reader how extreme you plan to be in yours. Off the top of my head, maybe starting with something that telegraphs bizarro vs mundane:

'The green diamond of sun rose again, as it had every six hours since the apocalypse ended.'

vs

'She could hardly stand the tedium of life. What Jen would give for the faintest bit of variation from normalcy--just one thing off, one small oddity to break the monotonous normalcy of 'everyday,' 21st century Earth.'

Answer 3 is obvious--:)--More beta readers and go with the consensus.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme