logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Building a scene and readability When building a scene at the beginning of a chapter for instance, before character interactions take place, what are the important elements to consider, and how

Candy753 @Candy753

If you're consistently beginning every scene you write with a description, you're running the risk of losing the reader. Beginning a scene by describing the location where the scene takes place, or of a person central to the scene, or of an object that is significant to the scene--this is a valid way to begin a scene. but there are other opening techniques, and it's important that you use a variety.

I can't name all the possible ways one can open a scene. I don't know them all. I've certainly forgotten a few. But here are a few suggestions:

Interiority. Begin with your POV character's inner thoughts. have her thinking about what disaster will befall her if she fails to obtain her goal or desire in the scene. Have her think an opinion she wouldn't dare say out loud. portray your POV character's state of mind.

Chain the beginning of this scene to the ending of the previous scene. Here's an example: if the previous scene ended with someone setting down an object to as a symbol that refused or rejected the previous POV character's goal/desire, think about a way you can use that same object type to carry the mood of the new scene.

With a physical action. If you've been writing a lot of scenes where a pov character walks into a room, describes it, and then has a conversation with the occupant of that room, and then leaves, it might be time to remember that a character in motion is pretty interesting. It could be time to think about what action will carry a symbolic message to the reader, helping to deepen their experience of the story.

Hopefully, these will help.

CL

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme