logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Sci-fi change: Too much or Not enough I am in the process of editing a short story. It is science fiction of the "if this goes on" kind: I take a social trend I see, and paint its event

Connie138 @Connie138

Beta readers are excellent at identifying problems. They're not as good at identifying solutions.

Think of yourself like a doctor with a patient. The patient can describe their symptoms. They can even tell you what they think the cause is. But you are the expert here - the ultimate diagnosis and treatment are in your hands. Consider how your readers think you need to change the story - but do not take it as truth.

It's possible that both of them are right

If you're standing at a crossroads you can take either the left or right path and get to a good destination. If you walk straight forwards you'll hit a tree. It's entirely possible that both proposed solutions would actually work for your story. Then again, maybe neither will.

And it's possible that one solution will improve the story, while at the same time changing it into something new. Maybe something better, maybe worse, maybe just different. It's your story, it's perfectly fine to reject a change that makes the story into something you don't want it to be, even if that change would create a serviceable story.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme