bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Should I include details relevant to a "close reading" in my thesis statement? I am writing a five-page essay about a novel my literature class has read. I do not want to post my thesis or - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I am writing a five-page essay about a novel my literature class has read. I do not want to post my thesis or any snippets of my essay for fear that a plagiarism checker will flag my paper.

My paper's thesis should be about some arguable point in my novel, and I chose to write about gender inequality. The requirements also state that I should include at least two "close readings" (commentaries) in my work, too.

I am unsure of how I would integrate my close readings into my paper and if I should include the elements of my close reading in my thesis statement (characterization, ennui, etc.)?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bryan361

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Your thesis statement should be a succinct summery of your overarching argument and it should not include too many details. But close reading is the means through which you reach your conclusion. Use it to support your arguments. Think about the thesis as a big claim made of several smaller supporting arguments supported in turn by close reading.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

If you show excerpts and cited the book, it is obvious you are crediting the book, and it is not plagiarism. You are not claiming the passages from the book are your own writing, and it is "fair use" (the legal term) to cite passages from a book verbatim in the course of critiquing the book.

You don't have to worry about it. You can include segments of reasonable length (some paragraphs, usually, not chapters or whole scenes) to illustrate the critiques you are making.

Load Full (0)