bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do discovery writers hibernate? I am 20% outliner and 80% discovery writer, (I know many will object that this is not possible) meaning, I have a very brief outline of what is going to - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I tend to be a spurt writer, I'll get nothing on the page for months and then a few thousand words in a couple of hours. When I'm stuck on a piece I know the thrust of I try writing backwards, going from where I want to end back to the material already on the page.

You know where you want to end, you have a story that gets you most of the way there and a small amount of missing material. You need to work out what events, if any, (sometimes the way you thought the story would end doesn't actually work) get you from the end of what you have already written to the end of the tale you foresee. This is often easier if you start at the end and ask "where do the characters have to be (physically, mentally, emotionally) for this to happen?" repeatedly looking at how to get them there from where they are to where you need them step by step. Once you know the steps to take the characters on their journey you can fill in the events that have the necessary effects.

If all else fails go back to your inspiration, watch/listen/read/play the material that got you started on the story in the first place over again. You're looking for fresh inspiration but also for how that material handled the final transition that is causing you trouble.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @XinRu607

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best