bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Do I need to start off my book by describing the character's "normal world"? I know a lot of books do it (Harry Potter, LOTR, Wheel of Time). It's even part of the "Hero's Journey". However, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I'm going to suggest folding in "normal" over the course of the story, not doing a big info dump. I would also warn against, when incorporating it, doing something like "When little Susie was younger, bigger kids seemed nicer, but not now!", since it doesn't feel as organic.

If you want a good example, Log Horizon is a story where people are transported to a fantasy world based on an MMO, perhaps the biggest possible "inciting incident," since it is the biggest change possible (their bodies, world, and economy have suddenly changed). What sets it apart from it's contemporaries is that it starts off with an action scene in the middle of the first arc that hints at the inciting incident, then reintroduces us to the new setting with some off-hand remarks about how this is "slightly different" than what they were expecting since it was originally a game world to them (i.e., thinking of skills instead of clicking on them) with only one mention of an incident, then using real-world holidays and brief mentions of "the incident" as the only real mention of the normal world until that outside world becomes relevant to the story, when we get a few discussions and a dream sequence.

A New Hope has a much shorter establishment, also not in the beginning of the story, that establishes Luke's normal life as a farm boy after the main conflict has already been introduced.

Many detective novels start with the main character hanging in their office, then getting a call or a letter or a visitor that kickstarts the mystery. Since you have a more grounded story, a good way to establish the MC's normal in an organic and chronologic way (if you're into that) is to start off the morning of or at most the day before the first day of school. You can use this time to lay the groundwork of who the character is, what they want, and foreshadow the eventual conflict.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Dunderdale623

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best