bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Do I need to start off my book by describing the character's "normal world"? I know a lot of books do it (Harry Potter, LOTR, Wheel of Time). It's even part of the "Hero's Journey". However, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Every recipe has a reason.

The Heroe's Journey and the starting in the ordinary world has a very simple reason: It works.

Notice how it is especially used in fiction and SciFi, because the gombdoggle exchange blaster showacks with the Truklacks in a huge Kugla ship at the edge of the Irofan space is completely incomprehensible unless you've introduced these elements first.

The ordinary world helps the reader to orient himself, to understand who the hero and a few other characters are, where the story is set, what the environment and the rules of your world are.

It also makes the reader relate to the protagonist and to understand why the extraordinary that your story is about affects him so deeply. You need to somehow take the reader on the journey, and easing them into it is the most reliable way to do so.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Goswami879

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best