bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to ask about the details of a job without making it sound like the employer is the one who needs you? I was offered a job the other day (verbally) but I was not provided with a lot - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I was offered a job the other day (verbally) but I was not provided with a lot of details and, since I am a minor, my dad is the one who has to email my employer about whether or not I am going to take this job or not.

After giving it some thought, I concluded that, since the school year is going to start in a couple of months, this job might affect my school so I most likely will not take it. But I do not want to miss this opportunity so I would like to ask my possible employer about the details of a job(most importantly, how many hours of work a day I have to put into this job and how many days a week). I thought of something along these lines:

Hello Dr. Doe,

I was wondering if I were to do this machine learning project, how
many hours of work would I have to put into it per week and would I be
able to work from home?

My main issues are the following:

I feel like this sounds like the employer is the one who really needs me and I sound like I am scarce.
I do not know how to end the e-mail. I am 14 so I do not really know what to write so it would not sound sort of weird.

What is the best way I could ask the questions I already wrote in a formal way and how could I end my email?

EDIT
I live in Canada.

Thank you so much in advance!

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cooney417

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I feel like this sounds like the employer is the one who really needs me and I sound like I am scarce.

That's fair. It seems like the employer does need you more than you need them, and you're not being rude about it. I wouldn't worry about it.

I do not know how to end the e-mail. I am 14 so I do not really know what to write so it would not sound sort of weird.

How about:

Thanks,
--Borna

There's only one thing I would change. You wrote "how many hours of work would I have to put into it," but that makes it sound like a chore you'd rather not do. You might say something like "how many hours per week does the job require" instead. Use whatever phrasing works for you, but it might be best to get rid of that have. You might also want to let them know what hours you're available up front.

Load Full (0)