bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Good examples of fear/terror inducing techniques used with enemies What good examples of fear/terror inducing techniques do you know? Off the top of my head I am thinking of: the Apache Indians - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Ninety-five percent of the time, what you don't see is scarier than what you do see.

Think about The Blair Witch Project, even though it's a movie. You never see the villain. That ending STILL gives me nightmares.

Think about Voldemort and the Death Eaters rousing fear and suspicion among the wizarding world, even before his return at the end of Goblet of Fire. You could never be sure if someone was Imperiused... or a Death Eater... or just dotty.

The fear of the unknown adds an extra layer of terror to any antagonist, so hold back your reveal as long as you can. When the protagonist is facing an enemy and doesn't even know what it is, or if "it" is a "them" or a "who" or a "what" or "how big," that's one less facet your hero can prepare for, one more surprise on the antagonist's side, and that much less control your hero has.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Debbie451

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best