bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is concurrent first person / third person usage absolutely unacceptable? Background: My understanding about first person / third person is this: choose a voice and maintain it throughout the piece. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

While I'm usually fanatic about number agreement (like not using "they" as a gender-netural third-person-singular pronoun in English), Example #1 actually doesn't bother me. I think it's because I'm reading "ABC" as a collective noun, referring to all the staffers (who are the ones who actually have the opinions, did the deeds, and won the awards).

"ABC is expanding our mission" is sort of short for "ABC's executives, staff members, and volunteers are expanding the mission of the organization." Otherwise you start running into the Rufus Xavier Sasparilla problem. [The link is to a "Schoolhouse Rock" cartoon short explaining what pronouns are and how they are useful, using the example of three people with extremely long names.]

I edit a lot of business copy, and I see the "ABC is expanding our mission" construction all the time, so it wouldn't make me blink.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Debbie451

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best