bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I portray a character with no fear of death, without them sounding utterly bored? Imagine a fantasy hero with a 'time reset' ability like the protagonists of Groundhog Day or Edge of - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You need to find a parallel to your character's situation in your own life, so you can see how you would feel and think at the time. For me, this would be someone at work having a computer problem. There is no "risk" to me but I still have a lot of different thoughts about it. I want to help - helping others is a nice thing to do, or I like the praise I get for fixing it for them, that's just how I've been brought up or that's part of my job. Equally it can be frustrating - either because it is a recurring problem, it is a distraction when I'm trying to get something else done, it is the seventh time today etc. There are differences between the first time I tried to help, or if it is an unfamiliar program etc, or if it is identical to an issue I've seen before and know about. There can also be rising pressure if what looks to be simple starts to become more complicated - I know a simple fix but that doesn't work and I have to try something else.

Applying all that to your protagonist - is this the first time she tackles a robber, in which case there will still be some question marks in her mind of whether she will be able to "reset" in time if something goes wrong, or just whether she will actually be able to stop the thief (he is bigger/stronger etc). Does she go in thinking it will be easy, only to find she has to reset again and again to try and find just the right angle to approach the thief from, or the right words to distract him etc. Is she frustrated that this comes up when she is trying to deal with a bigger issue, or is she actually pleased that something came up to add interest to her normal day? Is she keen to "have a go" just because she knows she can, or does she get persuaded into it because someone is screaming for help? Did she actually feel bored and let it happen only to then feel guilty and have to "reset" to go back & stop the thief?

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Margaret427

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best