bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I start off in web comics? I’m a beginner writer planning on learning how to write webcomics. My main one is an adventure/fantasy webcomic and the other is a card battle webcomic - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

[This answer addresses the storytelling part of the question, not the webcomics-drawing part.]

I've found Brandon Sanderson to be an excellent teacher.

He focuses on:

1) "mainstream commercial fiction" as opposed to e.g. "weird experimental writing intended for a narrow audience"; but I think you need to understand this material before doing weird experimental writing, even if that is your ultimate goal

2) fantasy and science fiction; but again, he's focusing on writing mechanics, so I think almost everything he teaches is useful background for most, if not all, storytelling.

3) storytelling mechanics: he deals with how to construct stories, and how to analyse them in order to understand whether they work as intended; he does not deal with "deeper meaning", critical theory of literature as you might expect from a literature course at university, etc.

Start with the basics, covered in actual university lectures: www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brandon+sanderson+writing+lectures (skip the introductory minutes where he says things specific to the administration of his course--only his IRL students would care about that)

Then, continue with the awesome writingexcuses.com/ podcast (which also recommends many other resources).

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Heady158

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best