bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When writing non-linear, do I have to note time changes? I’m writing a non linear drama and my question is: do I have to notate what will be seen literally in the film, like age differences - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Think about your own audience. If you are writing a screenplay, as opposed to a novel, your intended readers are the director and cast.

As long as you have made it clear* in some fashion to the people putting on the production that the scenes fall at certain points on a timeline, your job is done. The director can take artistic license to show, not tell, the film's audience that we have moved to a different point in time by incorporating appropriate props, costumes, haircuts, wrinkles, weather, scenery, news broadcasts, etc. (or they can choose to add "Seven years later..." on the screen). Good actors will also try to portray their character as they might behave at different stages of life or being pulled along by cultural tides of slang, body language, etc.

None of that is dictated by the screenplay unless some particular detail is necessary for the dialogue/plot/actions, in which case you can include cues or notes for it (following the screenplay writing conventions you have selected).

*I believe the usual way to make the time shift clear is by including a date or similar time cue in the scene heading. This article has some tips on writing scene headings and fitting in time cues: you can include a year as part of the location name, as it is an integral part of the scene you are establishing. E.g., EXT. TIMES SQUARE (1920) - NIGHT. I think you could be as specific as necessary, but don't add more than you need to.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Si5022468

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best