bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Does a story necessarily need a theme? I'm writing a short story From what I understand, the theme is the message that I want to send across. Akin to Beauty and the Beast's "Don't judge a - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It doesn't need a theme. The theme might be something people decide once you publish it. The TRUE theme might not be known til 100 years after you're dead!

Sometimes themes apply cos there's only so many kinds of story in human life, so by default even real life follows themes. Or you might be trying to say something about life, about people, about whatever, and a theme is a way of keeping you on track so you stick to your point. You know what serves the point and what doesn't.

I wouldn't necessarily start off with a strong theme, or a moral for the story, in mind at first. A good idea is more important. Stories are best when it's not just some stuff that happens to some people. It's nice for there to have been a point to the whole exercise. That can be containing a good example of some thing or process.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kaufman555

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best