bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Italicize part of a word in fiction? I am wondering if I can or should take a bit of stylistic license and italicize just part of a word: He took a sharp turn back into a side street, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

I am wondering if I can or should take a bit of stylistic license and italicize just part of a word:

He took a sharp turn back into a side street, and collided hard with something that sent him sprawling to the ground. He scrambled to his feet as he realized that the it wasn’t something he had collided with, it was someone.

Maybe there is a better way to do this. Thoughts?

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Martha805

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Salinger does it a ton in Catcher in the Rye - hence the very reason I found my way to this site/link discussion this matter - as I wanted to know more about it....

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Yep, works for me. You're reproducing a speech pattern in which part of the word is emphasized.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Yes, this is OK, as it allows you to emphasise certain things, that you want the readers to notice. In your example, that the character has collided with another person. By putting it in Italics, you are also letting the reader know this person is important, and may play a role later.

A word of warning- don't overuse this technique( as with any technique). It can get tiring soon, and loses it's effect.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I believe this is perfectly acceptable and does a good job of emphasising your point. I've seen this done before and it works stylistically.

Load Full (0)