bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to subvert expectations and abort plotlines without alienating the reader? Subverting expectations and suddenly aborting plotlines was a no-go zone for me for a while. The only time I could - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Gymnastics or diving are good parallels to use to answer your question. The more skilled you are the more intricate and challenging routines you can perform. A skilled story-teller can do whatever they wish with the characters and arcs. You can't please everybody all time. Personally, I associate the predictable structures being discussed with Hallmark and other made for TV movies. I'm not alone in avoiding these productions because I know what's going to happen and when it's going to happen . . . so what's the point in watching?

There's also a commercially inspired fear of confusing the reader or not catering to their expectations. This is also a double-edged sword. I do not believe I'm alone in very quickly discarding something written for the comprehension of a 5th grader.

Again, I'll use movies as an example. Certain movies I can watch while writing emails, texting, posting on Twitter, cooking dinner and talking to my partner. Others, those I enjoy, I sit and pay attention . . . and anybody who wants to talk gets thrown out of the room.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shelley992

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best