bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Pitfalls of writing a main character of different gender to the author, specifically first-person perspective? This is my first question on here, so bear with me, if you will. My question is - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Even though the question is 8 years old, I have a different take to most - so I'll offer it. Many writers can write from both male and female perspectives (many can't). The main difference is in the narrative focus. e.g. A female narrator gets a promotion at work. She mentions that she went to her mother (behind her husband's back) to borrow money for the required wardrobe upgrade. A man is unlikely to consider or include these things.

The issue is not with the writing. From a writer's POV: the author should never be in the story. However, the readers don't see it that way. "The Men I have loved" by Chad Buckley doesn't really inspire confidence in the target demographic. No matter how well it's written and how inspirational the MC, Angela's, story is . . . the suspension of disbelief is going to struggle to work its magic.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Alves689

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best