bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Intentionally misspelling words in dialogue I have a piece of dialogue which sounds great in my head, and the way the character says it is important, but it never looks right when I type it - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I would also suggest the spelling change so that the first line is "Lookin' and lookin'..." as that is closer to how the word would be pronounced in a sing-song quality. If the speaker is the villain, you might want to show a quick progression through the first part, and a slower progression for the second part, which the pidgeoned spelling of Looking without the trailing "g" followed by a punctuation ("In alll... the wrong... places") will help. If this is a surprised reveal, it might also serve well to split the quote on the second "looking" and allow the heroes to turn to see the villain and the thing they wanted to find, at which point the villain finishes the dialog.

Without any context as to the events surrounding the line, and now intended example voice for us to hear (Is he Joker? Hagrid? A Scotsman? American? Kiwi? Non-native English speaker?), it's rather hard for us to help write the dialog for you. Sing-Song voice doesn't help... Everyone does "It's Raining, It's pouring" in a sing-song voice, but it will be read differently depending on whether you're writing an episode of Barney and Friends or a horror movie complete with creepy child singing a nursery rhyme.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best