bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is this allowed to use the name of Templar and other Order like Teutonic, Santiago, Hospitaler, etc as my fiction story? i'm new here, but i really want to make a question about using real - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As I remember, the Templars were accused of heresy and disbanded 700 years ago, so the Templar organization will not sue you for libel.

As I remember, in Sir Walter Scott's novel Ivanhoe (1819) one OF the main villains who plot with Prince John against King Richard, and who attack and kidnap innocent travelers, is a Templar knight, Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert. Lucas de Beaumanoir, fictional Grand Master of the Templars, tries Rebecca as a witch and sentences her to burn at the stake.

So for centuries writers have felt free to accuse medieval Templars of various misdeeds without fear of getting in trouble for libel.

On the other hand, many people think that the Templars were (mostly) good and innocent of all the charges against them, and Templars are often described as more or less "good guys" in fiction and historical speculation. The Templars are often mentioned in various more or less silly historical conspiracy theories, such as the Jesus bloodline theory, etc.

Thus I have seen a television episode where King Philip IV "the (Un)Fair" of France, who attacked the Templars, is described as an evil supernatural villain.
moviechat.org/tt0115317/Poltergeist-The-Legacy/58c760716b51e905f67fd97c/The-Worst-Witness1
And the creators of the show apparently didn't worry about the present government of France or the rival pretenders to the French crown suing them for libeling a former French leader.

I Think that most of the other medieval military are no longer military orders but exist in other forms. I think that the modern Teutonic Knights are two charitable organizations, one Catholic and One Protestant.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutonic_Order2
And as far as I know they have never tried to interfere with viewing the famous movie Alexander Nevesky (1938) which depicts the Teutonic Knights as sinister invaders.

And the Knights Hospitaller now exist as several charitable organizations.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Hospitaller#Successors_of_the_Knights_Hospitaller3
As I remember, many novels, movies, television episodes, etc. have expressed strong opinions about relatively recent and still somewhat controversial events like the US Civil war and Reconstruction, World War I, World War II, the Nazis, The Cold war, Communism, the assassination of JFK, the Vietnam War, conspiracy theories, etc., etc. without too much trouble. So I tend to doubt that depicting fantasy counterparts of medieval religious orders will get a writer in much trouble.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murphy332

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best