bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should a scene break always be put in place when there is change in location, times, and dates? I have read many books where the character is in one place at a certain time and, without - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Your question seems to be a style issue. Personally I cannot recall ever using a scene break within a novel.

More often than not the end of a scene is also the end of a chapter. Where the end of a scene is not the end of a chapter I simply insert a blank line between paragraphs.

I use a blank line where the next scene involves a change in time or location. I also use a blank line where narrative commentary interrupts the story.

Scene breaks intercept flow and diffuse tension. Once a writer has established character and locations the breaks are counter-productive.

Imagine a scenario where "Jane" has escaped her evil captors and is racing toward St Pancras train station in a stolen car. (Character 1, Location 1). "The Bad Guys (Hans & Uri)" are chasing her. They are a few minutes behind in a van using the tracker in her phone to locate her. (Characters 2, Location 2). "Detective Inspector Bob Smith" is thrashing the shit out his police car trying to get to the bad guys before they get to Jane. (Character 3, Location 3). "D.I. Smith" is being directed by his partner "Pam" who is at head office watching the pursuit via satellite. (Character 4, Location 4).

Once we've established the characters and locations we can run all the locations through a single scene. (Ignore the line spaces. I don't get how formatting works on this site).

Speed cameras flashed as Jane hurtled along Baker Street. "Move! Asshole!" She bashed the horn and gave a taxi driver the finger.

Uri's eyes remained focused on his phone. "She went left. . . No. Your other left! Shit for brains!"

Jane powered along the bus lane, mounted the kerb, and drove the wrong way along Bristol Mews.

Pam took the headset from the analyst. "Bob, it's Pam. She appears to be heading towards Kings Cross. Take Gower St . . ."

Hans stood on the brakes. The black Mercedes Sprinter screeched to a halt. "Where'd she go?"

Hopefully you can see where I'm going with this. For me, if I try to see the scene: Inserting scene-breaks for every switch would be like fading to black each time.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cody1607638

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best