bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: best licensing option for freest possible sharing of lyrics while retaining the right to get paid if someone else makes money from them I would like to share many song/poetry/lyric works. I - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I have a practical problem with much of music licensing.

I sing with a Barbershop chorus, and with a couple of quartets. All of this is "non-profit", but it is not "non-commercial". We get paid for gigs, which give us a percentage of our yearly operating revenue.

I don't have a problem with buying music, or paying BMI when we have a show, or paying ASCAP an annual fee for using music -- actually we do all of there to have rights to sing almost anything.

If you have a song we want to arrange to sing, I need to know who to contact. I need to know what your procedure is for granting a license to arrange. When I have the arrangement, I need to know who to pay when I make copies of that arrangement for my singers. I need to know if the performance fees are included in the fees we pay to BMI and ASCAP, or if we have an additional liability to you.

This can be a maze that is hard for a volunteer, non-profit, but not non-commercial organization to work through.

I hope this gives you a framework within which you can find an answer that will serve your need, and ultimately the needs of thousands of small performers everywhere.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lee1909368

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best