logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: Can you switch point of view very often? I'm trying out a style where I switch POV very often. It's written in third person, but everything described is things that are visible to the POV

Bethany377 @Bethany377

You can switch POV as often as you wish. Talented writers can pull off virtually anything. However, without knowing your skill or experience, I'd probably advise against it. And, if it were me, I certainly wouldn't attempt to write the piece the way you propose.

Reader can follow and adapt to logical patterns.

Consider the action tag, the association between action and speech: the dialogue belongs to the person performing the action.

Bobby kissed Katy of the forehead. "Goodnight, my love."

Katy smiled. "Goodnight, sweetheart."

To smoothly switch POV's simply follow the same logic.

Bobby kissed Katy of the forehead. Goodnight, my love. In the morning you'll be served a champagne breakfast, after which, I shall, on bended knee, ask you to be my wife.

Katy smiled before closing her eyes. Bobby was sweet, a gentleman, but her heart and real passion was for Daisy, Bobby's sister. She slowed her breathing and pretended to sleep. Please, just leave - this is killing me.

Bobby stood up straight. How angelic she looks as she sleeps.

That seemed easily followable to me.

For the record: almost every style and guideline article will frown upon your proposal. Head-hopping is a greater sin than masturbation.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme