logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: How can I get 2 characters to bond while standing alternate watches? Setting is standard space opera. I am writing a story in which 2 characters are crewing a spaceship. The characters are:

Eichhorn147 @Eichhorn147

They are able to communicate with each other during the non-sleep shift? If your characters have 3*4 hours working shifts and 2*4 hours sleep, that leaves 1*4 hours shift to sozialize. One works, the other eats. This allows you to get creative with the message system: Video-call? Audio (Radio), text consoles?
The work does not actually require hands-on duties at all times. Both watch surveillance videos of the previous working shift and find out that they share the same troubles.
They, intentionally or not, leave messages to the other. Intentional would be something like letters, unintentional would be logs, where one person stumbles upon the logs of the other. This is the "my boss has a picture of his dog/kids on the desk" or "he was in the same army unit" trope.
Part of the work is a (more or less lengthy) hand-over process, where the two communicate. "This happened, this broke, I fixed this."

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme