logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: How can I get 2 characters to bond while standing alternate watches? Setting is standard space opera. I am writing a story in which 2 characters are crewing a spaceship. The characters are:

Rivera824 @Rivera824

Other answers cover what to do if you allow your characters to meet in person.

If you don't want them to see each other in person, you could use nightly logs as a vehicle for the incipient relationship. Every shift should have some documentation about what happened. Real life spacecraft and naval vessels have logs for every watch. You can see an example of naval logs here. The notes can start off very professional and gradually shift into the familiar. The novel S uses a similar plot device. Two students write messages to each other in the margins of a novel about their efforts to uncover a mystery contained in the book. They gradually get to know each other, even though they've never been in the library together.

You could also have the characters do nice things for each other. I used to work nights and my wife worked days. Cleaning, making food, and other gestures all help build a relationship, even when people don't get to see each other. Think about coming home to your dorm and discovering that your roommate scrubbed the bathroom.

1576502978. Notes for Captain Joshly. Propulsion unit experienced pogo effect for 37 consecutive minutes, likely caused by worn out
components. Shift otherwise uneventful. Spacefarer Detna.

1576540800. Notes for Spacefarer Detna. Pogoing appears to have stopped for now, but you never know how long it'll remain stopped with these
ancient engines. Occupancy alarm started sounding with the message "All crew must be secured during flight operations." Message repeated every five minutes. Captain Joshly.

1576627200. Notes for Captain Joshly. Blissfully uneventful shift. Investigated alarm issue noted in log 1576540800. Ship computer
assumes there are four crew and only counted two in proper restraints.
Disabled alarm. Chuck.

1576713600. Chuck. Thank you for disabling the alarm. I couldn't think straight last shift with that voice shouting at me every five minutes.
Nothing important happened during my shift. Only one thing worth
reporting. Our life support systems were pinged by what appeared to be
an insurance company. No idea why they'd be checking to see if we're
alive. Donna.

1576800000. Donna. Was pleasantly surprised to find full thermos of tea in bridge cupholder. Thank you.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme