bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I end a comedy sketch? I have a premise, which I think is funny/clever. I want to write this as a comedy sketch, to be acted out or shot on video. I have three "scenes" which are - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

In a circus comedy act or old vaudeville, there was the capper or blow off. It turns the whole premise on it's head. The jokes escalate in a line, then a twist. Portlandia is great at this. The guy who is disgusted at the yuppie who invades his hipster culture, and keeps saying everything is now OVER! then the blow off is he is now sitting in the bar, shaved off his facial hair, wearing a square shirt discussing business, and the yuppie now hipster guy looks in the bar window and exclaims the same thing that the first guy had started the sketch with.

Or, in a skit where everyone they know or encounter is a DJ, they then just retreat to Grandma's house for some peace and quiet and no DJ nights. But then Grandma invites them to her DJ night and has been needle pointing her DJ name. (Technically, they then go to heaven where God is a DJ. But this is much weaker than Grandma being a DJ.IMO)

Or, you can have a blow off where it just goes over the top, as in The two Ronnies, when the guy has escalatingly ridiculous requests of the candy man until he drives him so crazy he takes a hammer and smashes all the glass candy containers releasing all the candy to the floor in a giant cacophony.

Or, there is always the monty python style of an absurdist twist. But this can so easily become lazy and not funny.

For your skit, perhaps there is a tie in with trying to attract women, and after all the changes, the beautiful woman is IDK, vaping but still hip, or maybe they are sitting in a game shop playing D and D vaping, and someone comes up and lectures them on the health problems of vaping and how they should take up smoking instead. the kind of thing that might make the whole skit sem pointless in retrospect.

Just some thoughts. But mainly, the skit needs to end on a big laugh generally. SNL often does not finish skits well. They just get less and less funny and they don't know how or when to end it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cugini967

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best