bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Using single or double quote I have scoured the internet but have found conflicting information. When in in dialogue in writing a person mentions the name of a song, should it be in single - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I have scoured the internet but have found conflicting information. When in in dialogue in writing a person mentions the name of a song, should it be in single quote? Example below and the part in question is the title of the song, Dance With My Father Again:

She pushed the play button on the remote and the soulful voice of Luther Vandross singing, ‘Dance with my Father Again,’ filled the room.

This makes me think of something else; being that it's a title, should every beginning word be capitalized = Dance With My Father Again?

Thanks folks.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Song titles belong in quotes. If you're writing fiction think about the reader. Dialog uses double-quotes to frame the spoken word. In that dialog a song title can't also use double-quotes without potentially confusing the reader about where the dialog ends. So that is a good time to use single quotes.

"My favorite song," she said, "is 'Memories', or maybe 'All of Me', or even 'Hello'."

Hope this helps.

Load Full (0)