logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: How do I write LGBTQ+ characters for a romance story, as a non-LGBTQ+ person, without using potentially offensive stereotypes So today, some of my friends challenged me to write a short story

Kevin153 @Kevin153

The often misunderstood adage, "write what you know," is best understood this way in my opinion: write what you know from personal, emotional experience.

Whatever topic we write about, we cannot do justice unless we have personal experience with it or draw deeply from the personal experiences of others.

So in short, if you don't have personal experience as LGBTQ+, then talk to friends who do a lot, and listen really well. Take notes.

You can also supplement your understanding by reading autobiographies, watching interviews, and watching and reading other stories. After or during each, take notes, and compile all these notes into one place for you to meditate over until you are able to have a deep heart-level understanding of others' experiences.

Note that we can never understand perfectly. But we can get really far if we are willing to put the effort in.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme