bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I get my family to believe in me as a writer? I've recently started writing and I told my family. They said that they were proud and that they would support me but when they weren't - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As you may well have realized already, turning a premise and a plot arc into a fully-realized story is a long and arduous process; it's not uncommon to lose heart partway, so your family's skepticism is, however uncomfortable, an understandable reaction.

The best cure for skepticism is results. Fortunately, you already have their promise to support you, and this is a good thing; family almost always makes for biased reviewers, so you'll eventually want to ask others, but almost any input is useful when you're just starting out. You don't need to discuss the whole story with them (although if you have one person you trust to give you honest feedback, I would recommend doing so), but try to get them involved in the process.

Write the opening chapter, polish it until you have something you're happy with, and ask them for their thoughts. Does it pique their interest? Do they want to know more? Is the protagonist and/or viewpoint character intriguing or sympathetic? This accomplishes three things: proves you're actually writing and not just thinking about it, gets you potentially useful feedback, and shows them that you're taking the process seriously enough to do your research. Then take what you learned and work through the next few chapters before asking for more feedback.

As a bonus, this kind of schedule can also help you motivate yourself, knowing that people are interested in your work and expecting more of it. (Assuming they are, that is, and if they're not, you have the opportunity to ask why and work on that early on. Keep in mind differences in taste, though; ask friends with similar tastes if you need to.)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Martha805

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best