logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Constructing a standardized form for a collection of technical manuals I've been reading several articles about the use of voice within technical writing (both passive and active) and would like

Gonzalez219 @Gonzalez219

Posted in: #Reviews #TechnicalWriting

I've been reading several articles about the use of voice within technical writing (both passive and active) and would like feedback and guidance on the proposed content structure.
Use Case
I plan on using the templates presented below are to generate step by step procedural training that is delivered via narration and onscreen instruction. My desire is for the narration to be more natural/conversational with the onscreen text being more direct. The hope is that users will be better able to process and retain the information as the original content is comprised of short authoritative sentence fragments which easily cause the users eyes "glaze over" while reading.
Narration (Guidance)
[Action] the [Target(s)] [Optional location information], [it/they] should be [Adjective describing the state or condition] [Optional reasoning for the performing the action]
Alternate structure
The [Target(s)] [Optional location information], should be [Action'ed] [to/for/in order to] [Adjective describing the state or condition]
Onscreen (Instruction)
[Action] the [Target(s)] [for/to] [Verb(s) describing state]
The most common actions are: Check, Inspect, Set, Validate, Open, and Close.
The most common adjectives are: Cleaned, Damaged, Installed, Routed.
As writing isn't my particular forte your guidance is much appreciated.
Real-World Example
Narration
Inspect the oil ports, located on the interior of the gear housing, they should be free from dirt and damage which may impair operation.
Onscreen
Inspect the oil ports for dirt and damage.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme