logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Examples of different metrical feet/accents (scansion) I enjoy writing poetry in strict meter (example: iambic pentameter), but I keep running into an issue with word choice. I lack a reference

Megan928 @Megan928

Posted in: #Poetry

I enjoy writing poetry in strict meter (example: iambic pentameter), but I keep running into an issue with word choice. I lack a reference for words and the way they are accented. I am wondering if there is a compendium that lists different types of words (in terms of stress). For example, the following words have trochaic rhythm (/u):

legend
double
ember

And these words have iambic rhythm (u/):

attempt
compare
until

Ideally, word choice would come first, but I prefer the restrictions in play when writing in meter. Perhaps it is my job as the poet to sound out various words aloud and decide where the stresses are . . . but some words are very ambiguous or subject to an individual's way of speaking, no? I am wondering if there is a "word bank" for various types of rhythm for me to draw from when writing in specific meters. Thank you.

10.01% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Gonzalez219

Gonzalez219 @Gonzalez219

When I'm not sure about accent, I just use dictionary.com or m-w.com (Merriam-Webster's site) and look for the diacritical marks or bolded syllables. For example, "legend" has [ lej-uhnd ]. I also find it useful for words that my ear wants to make two syllables but that are actually one, like "wild". My ear wants "wy-uld" but the dictionary has [ wahyld ] -- one vowel makes one syllable.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme