bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it a good idea to improve my writing skills by "fixing" what others wrote? So, I tried out a new thing. Take this segment from The Eye of Argon: The weather beaten trail wound ahead - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This is similar to an older exercise of learning how to be a writer. It involved transcribing selected passages exactly. The point of the exercise was to kind of force you to think, “Why did they use this word in that sentence?”

Your method extends that technique. It might be helpful in finding your own voice — as in, how would I say that phrase, notion, idea, or scene in words that more match a manner in which I express myself.

Unless you are using a very poorly written text as your source (a harlequin romance) or using one that is dated or in a style that is no longer in fashion, then you are unlikely to improve the work.

There are people that want to be writers that use this technique. I met one such fellow, he rewrote all of the dialog of “The Last Jedi” to improve it. I am fairly certain many others do things like this too. And, then there are writers that only write fan-fiction for their favorite TV or Book series. Personally, I’m sure of the attraction, but I’m in no position to judge whether they’ll ever develop themselves as good writers. And, I’ve no desire to judge them, if it makes them happy, so be it. And, the same applies to you, if you enjoy it, then go wild.

The only other word of caution I’d add is that I think the best developing writers I meet are always the most honest, open, and humble of people. I think that it what it takes to learn to be a great writer — when you are part of that great mass of humanity not seemingly born with talent and have to work at it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best