logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Good authors usually begin by copying a better one, and then developing from there. He had chosen, probably for the best, Orwell's style. I agree with the statement that good authors

Vandalay250 @Vandalay250

good authors usually begin by copying a better one, and then
developing from there. He had chosen, probably for the best, Orwell's
style.

I agree with the statement that good authors usually begin by copying a better one. In fact, I have done exactly that.

There was one time, back in 2008, I submitted an application to a "literate" role-playing forum. The forum had high standards of its own writers/role-players and graded applications by writing quality. Rejected applications meant that the user could not participate in the forum; accepted applications meant that the user was just accepted; and WOW! applications meant that the user went above and beyond than expected in the quality of writing. Basically, I achieved a WOW! application, and I did so by copying the writing style of another WOW! applicant.

How does one specifically copy a better author's style? As an example, I would like to write more like Christopher Hitchens. Not exactly like him, as I find that he has the habit of using too many useless, replaceable words, and that he tends to sneak in foreign words.

Exposure. You have to be exposed in that author's work, of course.

How would one analyze the writing style and then copy it?

Take a look at The Scarlet Letter, written by Nathaniel Hawthorne. You can read a ready-made analysis that someone else has written. A literary analysis would usually have some kind of thesis - the point of it all. The thesis may focus on a theme or some kind of topic. That is how you write a literary analysis.

In regards to improving your own fiction writing style by mimicking the work of another, you may take a look at the sentence structure. Hawthorne begins with "A throng of bearded men, in sad-colored garments and gray, steeple-crowned hats, intermixed with women, some wearing hoods, and others bare-headed, was assembled in front of a wooden edifice, the door of which was heavily timbered with oak, and studded with iron spikes."

A group of chattering women, in flowery-patterned dresses and brunette curls and tresses, holding babies and the hands of little girls, some pretty and feminine, and others tomboyish and masculine, was formed inside the hall of the church, the walls of which were decorated with stained-glass windows and children's crafts.

Replace the original author's words with your own words.
Imagine the scene. Does it make sense?
Continue with the next line. Keep doing so until you get the hang of the author's writing style.
Take a break from the writing project, and re-approach your work with a fresh pair of eyes. Is there an interesting character? What do you think the plot may be about?
Jot down some notes pertaining to the trajectory of the story.
Continue writing in this style. Use the original author for inspiration.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme