logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Re: How do I deliver a historical plot reveal? Right before the climax of my scifi fantasy novel, there's a big reveal about who the bad guys really are and how they influenced the magic system

Samaraweera193 @Samaraweera193

In my experience, the simpler the reveal, the more shocking it is. A lot of technical detail at that point in the story dilutes the impact. Without knowing the details of the story, it might be useful to present these technical details as one completing explanation of the magic.

For example, "Hill people used to think that X was the source of magic; probably some of them still do. The swamp people knew better and thought that Y was the source of magic; the darker the swamp, the stronger the belief. The river people were sure that Z was the source. Of course, the rational folks were sure that none of them had a clue. Not a single definition of magic fit all of the facts that were plain for all to see. For example, X magic required animal sacrifice while Y magic revered all life and chanted its way to results. And do not get me started on Z magic. It just seemed like all of these so-called magic systems were excuses to hurl insults and shit at each other."

So now we have the conflict necessary for great story telling. The differences in beliefs cause differences in behaviors. All of this must be described and discussed. With some effort, almost all of the information needed to wrap up the story can be out there in plain sight, slightly disreputable and largely discredited. The final blow off can be summed up in the cry, "The hill/swamp/river people lied when they said that they no longer engaged in a-made-up ritual. The truth is that they dance around the fire covered in blue paint every Saturday night until the ugly monster stirs and shits gold." Or something like that.

The story leads the reader down the path of disbelief until the reader stumbles into the clearing where blue people are grabbing the droppings of a strange monster who dances around a fire. Oops! In a paragraph or two, the details are revealed, the implications are explored, the recriminations are expressed, and the truth is known. Slight of hand transferred to the page. Great fun if it is done right.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme