bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I begin writing a short story? I like to read short stories, novels, documentaries etc. I used to write a diary as well. I am interested in beginning to write a short story or some - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I suspect that you are trying to take in too much all at once. Narrow your field of perception. Pick one thing that you see as you move through this world and write about it. Pick something that you care about. Prune away anything that is not directly related to that one thing.

Let's say that you pick something that was a gift, say one you received. Describe the circumstances around the gift. Who gave it to you? When did they give it to you? What was the occasion? How did it make you feel? Why was this gift more significant than other gifts? In what way did this gift change things in your life? These questions should have answers in your own experience. All you have to do is to remember and write them down.

Or you see that someone has left something behind. Nothing of great value but of some value nonetheless. A pair of cheap sunglasses. A soiled handkerchief. A tattered spiral-bound notebook. Who owned the item? Did they leave it behind by accident? On purpose? Was it a conscious choice or an expression of some internal emotional turmoil? How will their life change because they no longer have the item? You can make up anything that you want.

Do one of these a day, or a few per week. They do not have to be long. A page or two at most. Just make sure that they are focused on a single item. When you get to the point where you can make the story of a discarded paperclip interesting, then you can start writing stories about the intersection of two items, and extend the web of relationships out one more step.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best