logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Mentioning verbatim sentence of another research Is it possible to use a verbatim sentence of another research in our own studies? I, as an undergraduate psychology student who doesn't have

Rivera824 @Rivera824

Posted in: #AcademicWriting #Research #TechnicalWriting

Is it possible to use a verbatim sentence of another research in our own studies?

I, as an undergraduate psychology student who doesn't have any research experience, have heard that this is not feasible legally and you must alter the format of your sentences. However, I think this is not just right! why do we have to change our sentences when we reference them! By referencing we are actually acknowledging that we are making use of another research. So, I wonder whether it's legitimately wrong, and if so, why?

I have done some searches on google but the only things to be found were about complete verbatim articles or how to reference something precisely the same way in English, which is beneficial for English learners.
my search strings were:

can you use verbatim sentence of a research?
can you use verbatim sentence of an article?
can we write a publication verbatim?
can we write a publication verbatimly?

Incidentally, I must admit that some of my search strings look weird, but I'm a language learner, so please don't be hard on me. This brings me to the next inquiry if I haven't found any related information to my inquiry due to the bad search strings, could you please mention better ones?

10.01% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Debbie451

Debbie451 @Debbie451

If you are going to use someone else's words verbatim, block-quote and cite the original work.

If you are going to paraphrase someone else's words in your own work, to make a more streamlined presentation, credit them and cite their work. E.g. "John Smith suggested in his "cited work" that (paraphrase...)"

As a general rule, if you know that something you are writing is influenced by someone else's research and work, you should make the effort to acknowledge that the information and ideas come from that person, and are not your own creation. Implying that someone else's work is your own — even if you do it innocently or by accident — will impact your reputation as a scholar. Most academics will view it as (at best) lazy and irresponsible or (at worst) outright theft, and that is not how you want to be viewed in the small universe of an academic discipline.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme