logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Looking for a better word than "Yikes" I'm trying to find the right word to use in a (serious) comic I'm writing. The character is an eighteen year old American girl, talking to some older

Correia211 @Correia211

Posted in: #Comics #Dialogue #WordChoice

I'm trying to find the right word to use in a (serious) comic I'm writing.

The character is an eighteen year old American girl, talking to some older women who she's just met. Suddenly, in mid-sentence, she sees someone entering the room who surprises and scares her. What does she SAY?

At the moment I've got her saying "Yikes!" But this doesn't sound to me like something any modern teenager would actually say, outside an episode of Scooby Doo. "Eek!" sounds equally implausible. Does anyone have any suggestion of a suitable interjection? I want her to stop short of actually screaming.

10.04% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (4) Report

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Hamm6328258

Hamm6328258 @Hamm6328258

While I think the answers provided here have some good input, I would instead focus on your actual character and use the situation for the reader to get to know her better.

Show character!

Make her unique - Make her use phrases that others don't (could be 'yikes', or 'holy!')
Show how she's self-aware, concerning the situation she's in, with older people...

If I were to write such a scene, my character would most likely use a swear-word such as "Shit!" or even "fuck!" along with some appropriate physical movement that signals being startled.
After the character's initial reaction, some characters would then go on to first apologize to the elderly for the use of foul language, and then ask "what the hell" that person was doing there / why they burst in, or tell them that they scared the "crap" out of them...

To me, this shows character, and a scene like this is an obvious chance to do just that.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Steve161

Steve161 @Steve161

From the context this person is entering without knocking or intentionally playing a joke? In this case she is startled. For that I like these: Eeep! Ooph!, Fuuhh!

For something truly frightening (like something actually scary like her brother with a bloody mask on): maybe turn the word she’s saying into a sound [“I’m juuUUUEEEAAAHHH!!],

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Berumen699

Berumen699 @Berumen699

In modern teenage parlance, and assuming you actually do need to provide an utterance that just comes out unbidden, you could try d'oh:

[Merriam-Webster]
—used to express sudden recognition of a foolish blunder or an ironic turn of events

It's the second part of that definition that applies here: "an ironic turn of events." In other words, "What? I can't believe it's them. That's typical …"

Any teenager, especially any teenager who's seen The Simpsons, will be familiar with this:

"D'oh!"

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Heady158

Heady158 @Heady158

Why have her say anything at all?

A large part of human communication is also based on body language. Maybe make her just stop mid-sentence and show a clear expression of alarm. Big exclamation marks (!!!) can come in handy for this sort of thing in a comic format depending on art style. You don't need her really say anything for it to be clear that there is an issue.

Alternatively, you could have her say something like, "Oh God..." or a curse word depending on the audience.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme