bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should an emoji come before or after a full-stop? When I make a hilarious joke on social media it's easy to put an emoji/emoticon/smiley on the end. But sometimes I want to set the context - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Inspired by MattOnyx who found the answer for the French language I decided to look at advice for the Dutch language. Luckily the answer was easy to find: the "Nederlandse Taalunie" (Dutch language union) who develops and stimulates the policies for the Dutch language has a website called "taaladvies" (language advice). Here you can find the following article:
taaladvies.net/taal/advies/vraag/1716/plaats_van_emoticon_of_smiley_in_een_zin_of_tekst/
The answer here is: if you post the emoji after a sentence it comes after the full stop. There has to be a space before and after the emoji. Examples here are:

We booked a weekend to London!
You have a lovely child! ❤️

You can also use them within a sentence:

We are going to London and booked three musicals!

They make it clear the these guidelines are for all types of emoticons and smileys: both the 'western' :-) as well as the eastern ^_^ and images such as the heart ❤️ emoji.

You can also put a punctuation mark after a smiley, although that can be confusing:

Linda will start a job in London :-/, but luckily we are going on a trip first.

Last but not least: they tell you that you can use them in informal written language, and that they don't belong in newspapers, magazines, or formal web texts.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Nimeshi163

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best